Friday, August 17, 2007

DMV Disco

Don't you love going to get your new driver's license? No? Me too. But I have to say, I really lucked out and found a DMV near my town where I've never had to wait more than 15 minutes! I'm serious! It's great every time I have to go in to change my name or my address, though I think they’re starting to recognize me in there. Come to think of it, that just might be the worst part of moving, getting married or getting a divorce… waiting in line at the highly feared Department of Motor Vehicles!

Well, I finally went in to change my name to Edwards. During my 15 minute wait, a mother came in with her young twins and a woman I guessed to be the children’s grandmother. The identical girls were about two years old and as energetic as could be. They quickly assessed the situation and had control of the room and their grandma as soon as mom had stepped out to take her test.

As grandma sat them down, one took off. Grandma dutifully got up and retrieved her. Just as they got back to the seats, the other girl took off in the opposite direction. This went on for about 10 minutes. Pretty soon the whole room was in hysterics. Poor grandma never thought to take one twin with her as she retrieved the other. Needless to say, the twins thought this was a wonderful game. They looked quite practiced at it, in fact.

So that was my entertainment for the waiting portion. My number was then called and I went back to have my picture taken.

The DMV lady looked over my paperwork, and then asked, "Has your weight changed from this number?"
"Yeah, you could say that."
"May I have your current weight please?"
"Um... No. Just use the old one if you would."
"Honey, we need to use your current weight."
"Ma'am, I'm 6 months pregnant. My 'Current' weight changes by the day, so I honestly don’t know it. In fact, it's so depressing, I try very hard NOT to weigh myself these days. Couldn't we please use my non-pregnant weight just for today?" I asked as sweetly as I could.
She looked a bit embarrassed and without another word, put my pre-pregnancy weight on the forms. What a relief. I really have little desire to carry an ID around for the next few years (or until I move or remarry again) with my weight showing at about 20 pounds heavier than I plan to be following the birth of my baby.

When I assess the situation, I suppose she did the correct thing. We've all heard horror stories of people who ask a woman when she's due only to find out she's not pregnant. So in this catch-22, is it then ok to assume someone is just fat? Or perhaps she was making the assumption that I simply like to wander about town with a half deflated basketball beneath my shirt. We'll never know. Anyway, I was told my new drivers’ license would arrive in the mail in 6 - 8 weeks. The weight showing on it would be my incentive. I plan to be that weight again, someday.

This made me wonder. We go in to the DMV to change our names, addresses and any other pertinent information on our ID’s. Does that mean that one should go in if one has gained say, 60 or 70 pounds? Would this be pertinent information?

Can’t you see getting to the front of the line and telling the lady behind the counter, “Yes, Ma’am. I’m here because I’ve been eating way too much. Just wanted the state of Texas to be aware of that.”

Hmmmm. Now that could be a new diet in and of it self.

And then would the same rule apply for those who have made a huge effort and lost weight? Would the DMV set off bells and whistles, and announce to everyone in the waiting room, “Mrs. Smith is here today to have her new picture taken after loosing 84 pounds! Let’s have a big round of applause for Mrs. Smith! Doesn’t she look lovely?”

It makes you wonder what people might do differently if they had to go to the dreaded DMV each time they gained or lost 20 pounds or more. “I was going to start my diet this year, but I simply don’t have time to go to the DMV. It will have to wait another year or two until I can clear my calendar.”

No comments: