Sunday, August 19, 2007

The Sleep-Deprived Ranting of a Pregnant Lady


The following night was to be the height of the full moon, and for those of you who are unaware, more babies are born on a full moon than any other time. No wonder they tend to howl when they come out. Anyway, this particular night I was about thirty-five weeks along and my very own little internal bundle of joy decided to make herself more comfortable. Until this time she had been mostly transverse breech (o><) or sideways inside of me. I swear to the heavens she was sticking straight out that night. Her head was apparently against my spine and her feet were trying to come out of my belly-button. My hubby said my belly looked like it had (pardon the expression) a hard-on. The word "uncomfortable" can't even begin to describe the sensation. Of course paired with my BHO (belly hard-on) I was having contractions every five minutes. It didn't matter what I did or how I sat or if I lay on my side. I even tried laying on my back - at very least my little one would have the sensation of being head-down for once.

Finally I gave up and went to bed at 8:00 PM. The contractions subsided just a bit. Just enough to let me fall asleep... then WAKE ME UP... then fall asleep... then WAKE ME UP... then fall asleep...

By 12:00 AM it was I who was ready to trot outside and howl at the almost completely full moon. I'm sure my neighbors would have LOVED awakening to some huge, naked pregnant lady standing on her back deck screaming out over the moon-lit lake, "JUST LET MY DAMN WATER BREAK, ALREADY!" Yup. They'd like that.

Every hour or so I got up, peed about a teaspoon's worth, tried to stretch my menstrual-cramp-achy lower back, popped my neck, attempted to get at least one of my hips back in alignment, crept back to bed (as well as a pregnant-huge lady with whacked-out hips can creep) and laid there praying for my water to break. Of course all this activity was quite exciting to my little tyke who thought it would be fun to show me how talented she will someday be in every possible form of Martial Arts.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaauuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh!

And left with nothing to do but ponder, I recalled two incidents that happened just the day before at work. Early in the day a lady came in with her 3 or 4-year-old child. She was so excited I was pregnant and started asking me all sorts of questions. I finally confided that my first pregnancy had been soooo easy, and this one had been pretty difficult, but I was hanging in there. She nodded quite knowingly and stated that her second pregnancy was "pure hell" and "so incredibly hard, I'd never believe it!" Of course this begged my inquiry, which I offered on cue. "I was SOOOO tired the last two weeks - it was HORRIBLE!" She shared with me.

"Um, let me finish your paperwork so I don't hold you up." I replied.

Any other time I think I would have found a polite way of hinting to her that a problem like that would seem like a gnat on this elephant's toenail (after 18 weeks of bad 24x7 morning-sickness, sciatica and the diagnosis of an Irritable Uterus at 22 weeks… not only was it deformed, but it was pissed off too!) but I was too darn tired to even bother with her ignorance. I sure hope she never tells someone who REALLY had problems, like bed-rest, medications, pre-eclampsia, diabetes and a preemie baby to show for it, how hard her pregnancy was! Perhaps someone will slap her someday. One can only hope.

At the end of the day a well-meaning customer, who was aware to a limited extent of my difficulties, came into the business. "Don't worry. I just know you'll make it all the way to the end!"

"That is not what I want to hear! I do not want to go three more weeks like this. I don't think I can handle this for another HOUR! If you had scarab beetles with burning acid saliva eating you slowly and painfully from the inside out, would you want me to tell you "Don't worry - I think you'll live for another three weeks or so?" I don't think so!”
My outburst was met with a hardy guffaw by my co-worker and the bemusement of my poor customer.

After that I heard there was to be a full lunar eclipse of the full moon on the following night (May 15th, 2003). The moon, earth and sun would be in perfect alignment. I could just picture my husband and myself showing up at Labor and Delivery at 11:40 PM (the height of the eclipse in North America) along with dozens of other pregnant couples. I believe I would have raised the most eyebrows when they asked me "When did your contractions start?" and I replied "Thirteen weeks ago."

Arf, Arf Aaaaawwwwwwwwwoooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
(And they'll wonder why my baby was born with so much hair!)

No comments: